I love Pumpkin!

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Hi, my name is Sara and I'm a pumpkin-aholic.  I may even be hoarding cans of pumpkin puree in case of shortage as everyone scrambles to make pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving.  Oh, maybe not really....or am I?  Either way, I am loving all the recipes floating around pinterest and what not this time of year incorporating this fruit?  vegetable?  gourd?

I've made a few things lately using pumpkin and/or pumpkin flavor that I'd like to share with you.  First off, Pumpkin French Toast.
 
I wouldn't even really call this a "recipe" because I just kind of tossed things together until the flavor came out just right.  Adjust accordingly, this part of trial and error is fun....and tasty too!
 
Pumpkin French Toast
6 slices day old whole wheat french bread
3 eggs
3 Tbs. pumpkin puree
1 Tbs. milk
1/2 Tbs. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of cloves
cool whip (optional)
maple syrup (optional)
 
Mix eggs, pumpkin puree, milk, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, and cloves in a shallow bowl.  Dip each slice of bread in mixture and coat both sides evenly.  Cook in pan coated with cooking spray on medium heat.  Turn once, cooking each side 2 -3 minutes or until golden brown.  Dress with maple syrup and cool whip or whatever your favorite pancake/french toast toppings may be.  I love this breakfast for cleaning up leftover bread or buying day old bread that the store for a discount (yeah, I'm cheap!).
 
Another great little treat I've been making is mini pumpkin "pies".  I first saw this on Instagram, posted by Brianne from Cupcakes and  Kale Chips.  She served it in a cup, I added it to a mini pre-made graham cracker crust.
 
 
Mini Pumpkin Pies

1 pre-packaged vanilla pudding cup
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 Tbs. honey (or to taste)
2 mini graham cracker crusts
cool whip
 
Mix pudding, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey.  Divide evenly among pie crusts.  Top with cool whip.  Notice I don't put an amount of cool whip.  Add as much or as little as you want, go nuts! 
 
The last treat I saw posted by Aimee on her blog, Shugary Sweets.  I immediately pinned it and went grocery shopping that day in hopes of finding the seasonal pumpkin spice pudding mix needed for this recipe.  Again, I may be hoarding boxes of this also.  Maybe.
 
Pumpkin Krispie Treats!  Amazing.  You can find Aimee's recipe HERE.  I followed her recipe to the T and they turned out great.  Frosting a krispie treat?  Why didn't I think of that!
 
 
For the record, Izzy likes pumpkin too.  Just plain pumpkin puree.  According to the internet, pumpkin is good for dogs.  And you have to believe everything you read on the internet.  She is also very helpful when I'm taking photos of food.  She's willing to clean anything up that might spill.  She keeps a very watchful eye, so helpful of her.
 

 
And because I'm an addict, please share with me your favorite pumpkin recipes.  I'll pin away, hoarding recipes of delicious pumpkin treats!  If you are in the mood for a pumpkin cupcake, I posted a great recipe earlier this month.  As pictured, it is great served with pumpkin beer!  No, I'm not hoarding any seasonal beer....but I'm off to the grocery store, you never know when they'll run out!
 
 


7 tasty sweet comments:

Chelsea said...

Great recipes! I'm making Pumpkin Cheesecake tonight - pumpkin is just better in that fall. It's true. OH - I love your assistant too, def. needs doggie treats for his hard work. http://whatchamakinnow.com

Karis said...

I know the pumpkin addict feeling. I picked up two cans during my latest shopping trip, despite having a cupboard stocked with pumpkin puree at home, and no real plan with what I was going to make. You can never have too many cans of pumpkin puree :)

Laura Darling said...

Pumpkin french toast sounds amazing!!

Michelle said...

holy pumpkin!!! it's fave thing about fall :)

Sarah B. said...

That pumpkin french toast sounds absolutely amazing. The photos themselves are mouth-watering. I'm not ready for these seasonal recipes to end. Keep 'em comin'!

Anonymous said...

Oh I am loving all of your pumpkin treats, I so love the mini pumpkin pies! Thanks so much for sharing!

Cocalores said...

That french toast sounds yummy! Can you believe that it isn't very well-known in Germany? Pfft!

Post a Comment